I’ve only just discovered the Hemingway App website.
Take an article you’ve written, paste it into the Hemingway App and it will tell you what needs fixing, to make it more readable.
Be careful with the output as the spelling is American English but the writing rules and advice it gives is excellent.
I assume the app was named after Ernest Hemingway because it teaches you clear and simple writing.
Ernest Hemingway learned the following four rules when he started as a reporter at the Kansas City Star in 1917.
- Use short sentences
- Use short first paragraphs
- Use vigorous English
- Be positive, not negative
Here’s some of my writing rules:
- Simon Townsend ’s 10 Rules for being a productive freelance journalist and staying successful
- What is Active Voice and Passive Voice?
- Watch out for factual errors
- Some wise advice before you send off your article to the editor